DPS Logo

Texas Department of Public Safety

Account Management


Accessing My Account

Helpful Links


Creating Accounts


Errors & Problems

Existing Accounts



Other Questions

Why is SSN required when creating an account?


According to Section 411.086(2)(E) of the Texas Government Code, DPS may require any information, including the Social Security Number, the department determines is necessary to identify an individual or their record. (Not Required for access to Public CCH )

Who is eligible to access the Secure Website?


To be Eligible for an account on the CRD Secure Website, your organization must fit into one of the following two categories:

  1. Legislatively Authorized Private Entities:
    • Private Schools
    • Private Colleges
    • Residential Dwellings – including Housing Authorities for employment
    • Volunteer Centers
    • Safe Houses
    • In-Home Residential Service and Delivery Companies
    • Volunteer Children's Activity Providers
    • Private Health Providers – Nursing Homes/Home Health
  2. Legislatively Authorized Government Entities and Criminal Justice Agencies:
    • Cities – employment and licensing
    • Counties – employment and licensing
    • School Districts – public schools, region service centers, charter schools, and open enrollment charter schools.
    • Higher Education – state or public colleges and universities including community colleges
    • Hospitals and Hospital Districts – public/non-profit
    • Housing Authorities – tenants only
    • Public Transportation
    • Fire Departments
    • Regional Tollway Authorities
    • State Agencies
    • Count & District Clerks
    • Juvenile Probation

If you need additional assistance to determine if you are eligible for the Secure Website, please call 512-424-2474.

If you are not eligible for the Secure Website (https://securesite.dps.texas.gov), you can still access the Public Website (https://publicsite.dps.texas.gov).

What criteria determines DPS approval to utilize the Secure Website?


Individuals must not have a criminal history record that reflects a conviction or deferred adjudication for a Class A misdemeanor or felony. Additionally, an individual must not have a criminal history record that reflects a conviction or deferred adjudication for a Class B misdemeanor within the past ten years.

An error message about "cookies" is displayed when I try to log in.


A "cookie" is a small file that must be stored on your computer while you use the website. If this is not working, you may not be able to log in or create an account.

The solution to this depends on which web browser software you use to access the Internet.

If you are using Internet Explorer, follow these steps:

  1. Click on the "Tools" menu at the top of the web browser and select "Internet Options" from the menu.
  2. Select the "privacy" tab at the top of the window that opens.
  3. Make sure the level is set to MEDIUM. Use the slider on the left to adjust it if necessary.
  4. If the level has already been set to MEDIUM and you are still having trouble, click the "advanced" button.
  5. In the next window, check the boxes labeled "Override automatic cookie handling" and "Always allow session cookies." Make sure both cookie settings are set to "accept."
  6. Click "OK" on both windows.

If you are using Netscape, follow these steps:

  1. Click on the "Edit" menu at the top of your web browser and select the "Preferences" option.
  2. Click on "privacy and security," then click on "cookies."
  3. Make sure cookies are set to "accept" or "enabled" depending on your browser version.

Can a User ID be shared with a trusted associate or family member?


No. Every user must have their own personal User ID and Password for security and auditing purposes. Auditing insures that only authorized individuals have access to criminal history data. Please refer to Section 411.085 of the Texas Government Code for the penalties regarding unauthorized obtaining, use, or disclosure of criminal history record information.

What do I do if I forget my password?


If your password isn't working, or if you forgot your password, please click on "Forgot your password?" on the login page.

How will I receive my reset password?


You will receive your password reset by e-mail unless there is an invalid e-mail address.

What is meant by Incomplete Personal Profile?


DPS requires specific personal identifiers in order to run accurate criminal background searches on user applicants for the Secure Site. If this complete set of data is not provided, the user’s personal profile is considered to be incomplete and must be updated prior to site access being granted.

I was told a password would be e-mailed to me, but I never received it.


Please check your e-mail service for any junk e-mail filters or other settings which may prevent you from receiving e-mail. These features may be unique to your e-mail service and you may have to access them from your e-mail provider's website. If you are not sure how to access these features, please contact your e-mail provider for assistance.

The e-mail containing the password will have the address secure_donotreply@txdpscrimerecords.org in the "from" field. If you have already turned off your junk mail filters and still cannot receive your password, try adding this e-mail address to your e-mail service's address book and then request a password again.

Who is required to sign an Entity Agreement?


One Entity Agreement is necessary per Organization and should be signed by a designated entity representative. (Administrator, Director, Superintendent, etc.) The entity representative does not necessarily need to be a user on the site.

What is the Difference between the Public Site and the Secure Site?


a. The Public Site provides public access to criminal offenses that resulted in a conviction or a finding of deferred adjudication, as allowed by Section 411.135 of the Texas Government Code.

b. The Secure Site provides specific access to agencies with the statutory authority to receive criminal history record information, as allowed by Section 411 of the Texas Government Code.

I need help with my Driver's License.


The Crime Records Division website does not contain driving record information. If you need assistance with a license or record issue, please visit the main DPS website:


Can I search for driving records?


The Crime Records Division website does not contain driving record information. If you need assistance with a license issue, please visit the main DPS website:


How do I find someone's release date or parole information?


If you need to know when an offender will be released from prison, please contact the Texas Department of Criminal Justice: